IORA in collaboration with the Ministry of Tourism will be hosting a Workshop on Nature-based Tourism, entitled, “IORA Workshop on Nature-Based Tourism & Lessons Learned from COVID-19” from 03 to 05 May 2023.
The workshop is aligned with the strategic objectives of the IORA Work Plan on Tourism that was adopted by IORA Tourism Ministers during the Second IORA Tourism Ministers Meeting in October 2018 in South Africa.
Objectives of the Workshop:
The workshop will be a platform regrouping policy-makers and tourism stakeholders across the Indian Ocean rim to shed light on the best practices of how nature-based tourism could be used by local communities as a solution to improve their livelihoods and building resilience post-COVID.
Themes to be explored:
The following themes will be discussed during the workshop and the field trip:
- Impact of COVID-19 on the tourism industry & understanding how nature-based tourism can be viewed as a solution for recovery building on sustainability and resilience;
- Tools and Mechanism for the Sustainable Development of Nature-Based Tourism;
- Understanding Types of Nature-Based Tourism & Effective Marketing;
- Visitor Management for Nature-Based Tourism; and
- Lessons Learned from COVID-19 & Road to Recovery.