Interest to the “Blue economy” concept is steadily growing: today it is on the agenda of many international organizations, the concept is embedded into a number of national development strategies. The benefits of developing the Blue economy strategies go beyond direct ones and provide humans with a number of spillover opportunities.
At the same time, the development of this concept faces a number of challenges: climate change, pollution of the oceans, overexploitation of living resources of the ocean and biodiversity losses.
In spite of the rising Blue economy popularity, it is difficult to make international comparisons of the level of its development, as there is no terminology and sectoral unity in understanding what the “Blue economy” is. Due to this issue with the aim to facilitate regional, interdisciplinary discussions across various Blue Economy sectors The Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation in collaboration with the IORA Secretariat, will host the Online Workshop “Blue Economy: Modern Challenges and Perspectives for the Indian Ocean Region” on 8 June 2023.
This event is the first IORA-Russia initiative aimed at analysing and preparing an overview of respective national and regional approaches on behalf of Russia, IORA Member States and IORA Dialogue Partners. The one-day workshop will help parties get acquainted with each other’s definitions, regulatory approaches, government measures and consequently identify potential areas for further cooperation in the field of Blue economy.
This Dialogue will gather government official, private sector, academia and key stakeholders and will facilitate regional, interdisciplinary discussions across Blue Economy definition and regulatory approaches to unveil the potential of the sector. Discussions will be centred on governments’ priorities, measures and potential areas for further the IORA-Russia cooperation on this issue.
This Dialogue will potentially trigger cooperation among IORA Member States and IORA Dialog Partners in the following:
• Identify ways the IORA Member States and Dialogue Partners understand the “Blue Economy” definitions for further advancing Blue Economy concept;
• Share information regarding the national approaches towards the Blue economy, including particular development strategies, formulated goals, policies, and priority areas of development;
• Dig deeper into challenges and barriers the countries face in terms of developing Blue economy;
• Unveil “Blue Economy” potential for the IORA region;
• Enable revealing spheres of mutual interest and areas of potential convergence.
Participation: IORA Member States and IORA Dialog Partners
Title: The IORA- Russia online workshop “Blue Economy: Modern Challenges and Perspectives for the Indian Ocean Region”
• Venue: Online (Zoom platform)
• Date: 8 June 2023